The title to this piece has been used so many times over the last year, but there’s really no other way to describe the box office in its current state. After the one-two punch of A Quiet Place Part II and The Conjuring: The Devil Made Me Do It, moviegoing has slowed to a crawl, despite theaters around the world mostly returning to normal.
MORE: Sony & Marvel Collaborate on Spider-Man so It’s a ‘Win-Win for Everybody’
Case in point: Hitman’s Wife’s Bodyguard, the follow-up to the 2017 surprise comedy hit, only managed a meager $17 million over its first five days of release at 3,331 locations. As Deadline points out, people are eager for some big-screen fun but aren’t eager enough to shell out money for a sequel for a film that wasn’t beloved by critics or moviegoers. Otherwise, Peter Rabbit 2 and In the Heights continued their lukewarm performance with running totals of $20.3 million and $19.66 million after two weeks of release. While Cruella earned another $5.1 million to bring its sum to $64.7 million.
Internationally, Hitman’s Wife’s Bodyguard earned $7.8 million for a $24.8 million worldwide total, but the big news is that F9 has closed in on $300 million worldwide ahead of its domestic, UK, Brazil and Mexico release.
A Quiet Place Part II dipped 47% to earn another $15.7 million abroad for a massive $222 million total with 20 markets still waiting to open. Similarly, The Conjuring III brought in $12.4 million in its fourth week of release overseas to bring its worldwide tally to $142.8 million. Cruella has also hit $160 million worldwide thanks to another $12 million weekend internationally (a 32% drop).
Luca also made its debut in 11 offshore markets where it earned $5M.
Domestic Top 10
- Hitman’s Wife’s Bodyguard (LG) 3,331 theaters, $3.05M Fri/$4.1M Sat/$4.4M Sun/ 3-day $11.67M Total: $17M/Wk 1
- A Quiet Place 2 (Par) 3,392 (-123) theaters, $2.76M Fri (-27%)/$3.56M Sat/$3.05M Sun/3-day $9.4M (-22%) Total: $125.2M/Wk 4
- Peter Rabbit 2 (Sony) 3,346 theaters $1.9M (-53%) Fri/ $2.3M Sat/$1.86M Sun/3-day $6.1M Total: $20.3M/Wk
- Conjuring 3 (NL) 3,280 (+43) theaters $1.675M Fri/$1.98M Sat/$1.49M Sun/3-day est. $5.15M (-50%) Total: $53.6M/Wk 3
- Cruella (Dis) 3,110 (-197) theaters $1.5M (-29%) Fri/$1.9M Sat/$1.7M Sun/3-day est. $5.1M Total: $64.7M/Wk 4
- In the Heights (WB) 3,509 (+53) theaters $1.365M Fri/$1.62M Sat/$1.22M Sun/3-day est. $4.2M (-63%) Total: $19.66M/Wk 2
- Spirit Untamed (Uni) 2,967 (-427) theaters $480K Fri/$620K Sat/$500K Sun/3-day: $1.6M (-38%) Total: $13.8M/Wk 3
- 12 Mighty Orphans (SPC) 1,047 (+915) theaters $236,6K Fri/$317,4K Sat/$316K Sun/3-day $870K (+246%) Total: $1.25M/Wk 2
- House Next Door (Hidden Empire Film Group) 530 theaters (+110) $156,5K Fri/$217K Sat/$212K Sun/3-day $585,5K (-42%) Total: $1.99M/Wk 2
- Wrath of Man (UAR) 707 (-500) theaters/$113K Fri/$171K Sat/$163K Sun/3-day $448K (-33%) Total: $26.8M/Wk 7
Denial of responsibility! Swiftheadline is an automatic aggregator around the global media. All the content are available free on Internet. We have just arranged it in one platform for educational purpose only. In each content, the hyperlink to the primary source is specified. All trademarks belong to their rightful owners, all materials to their authors. If you are the owner of the content and do not want us to publish your materials on our website, please contact us by email – firstname.lastname@example.org. The content will be deleted within 24 hours.