Thomas Mace-Archer-Mills, founder of the British Monarchists Society, made the comments as Republic, which calls for an elected head of state, is set to launch an anti-monarchy billboard advertising campaign across the UK. Mr Mace-Archer-Mills claimed the Duke and Duchess of Sussex, who quit royal duties last year for a new life in California, have become the “poster couple” for republicans.
The royal commentator told the Daily Star: “Harry and Meghan are in fact the poster couple for anti-monarchical sentiment which is being used by Republic.
“If those closest to the crown such as the Duke and Duchess of Sussex can openly work against the institution without repercussion, and undermine Harry’s family, then why shouldn’t this example be used and continued by anti-monarchy groups around the world?
“The Sussexes have provided an empowered roadmap for republicans to unleash their worst on the British monarchy and the nation’s next King.”
Harry and Meghan stepped back from royal duties in March 2020 and moved to America – a move dubbed Megxit.
In their Oprah Winfrey interview earlier this year, they made a set of explosive claims about the Royal Family including racism accusations.
Harry made further controversial comments about his family in the following weeks.
FOLLOW BELOW FOR LIVE UPDATES ON THE ROYAL FAMILY:
8.10am update: Lady Louise could join frontline and kickstart aging Firm
Lady Louise Windsor may take on royal engagements in the future, according to an expert who noted most working royals are currently over 70s.
Royal expert Richard Fitzwilliams told Express.co.uk: “The Wessexes youngest daughter Lady Louise will be 18 in November.
“Her parents, who have brought up her and her brother James, Viscount Severn, in as normal a way as possible, have intimated that she will choose a career of her own and that she will not use the HRH title she is entitled to use as a child of the son of the sovereign.”
Mr Fitzwilliams continued: “With the number of working royals now fewer and most being from the older generation until George, Charlotte and Louis are able to take on royal duties, there may well be charitable ventures she may wish to support in future years and from that may follow occasional royal engagements. Interest in her activities is likely to grow as well.”
8am update: William puts his foot down as Duke refuses to ‘accept anymore nonsense’
Prince William has “refused to take anymore nonsense” over the Megxit drama, amid suggestions that the Duke of Cambridge is “much tougher behind the scenes than previously thought”.
William has been “very, very firm” on pushing back against Prince Harry and Meghan Markle behind the scenes, according to a royal expert.
The Mail on Sunday’s diarist Charlotte Griffiths noted that there is a “new picture emerging that William is much tougher in this situation than we previously thought”.
This comes amid an ongoing rift between the two brothers.
7.45am update: Prince Edward set to miss out on Duke title, says source
Prince Edward might miss out on the honour of inheriting the title of Duke of Edinburgh as Prince Charles is reluctant to hand it over, a source has claimed.
The Earl of Wessex, 57, is expected to inherit the title when the current holder of the title, his brother the Prince of Wales, becomes King.
However, a source close to Charles told The Times the future king is reluctant to hand over the title.
The source said: “The Prince is the Duke of Edinburgh as it stands, and it is up to him what happens to the title. It will not go to Edward.”
7.30am update: William and Harry following ‘own interpretations of royal duty’
Prince William and Prince Harry are “following their own interpretations of royal duty”, Princess Diana’s former private secretary has said.
Patrick Jephson said that the two Princes bear a “heavy burden of expectation and responsibility” as they grow older than their mother was when she died.
“For them, every new morning is one more than she was allowed,” he wrote in the Daily Mail.
Denial of responsibility! Swiftheadline is an automatic aggregator around the global media. All the content are available free on Internet. We have just arranged it in one platform for educational purpose only. In each content, the hyperlink to the primary source is specified. All trademarks belong to their rightful owners, all materials to their authors. If you are the owner of the content and do not want us to publish your materials on our website, please contact us by email – firstname.lastname@example.org. The content will be deleted within 24 hours.