Mortal Kombat edged out Demon Slayer in the closest domestic box office race we’ve had in over a year. Mortal Kombat, a bloody update of the classic video game that simultaneously debuted on HBO Max, kicked its way to the top with $22.5M from 3,073 theaters, the biggest R-rated opening in the pandemic era, according to Deadline. In IMAX, the flick earned $2.7M at 375 auditoriums.
Internationally, Mortal Kombat hauled in another $6.3M from 36 markets for a $27.6M total, bringing its worldwide gross to $50.1M.
RELATED: IMAX Update: Mortal Kombat, Demon Slayer & Rurouni Kenshin Impress
Demon Slayer: Kimetsu no Yaiba the Movie: Mugen Train, the direct sequel to the first season of the popular anime series, earned $19.5M in its first weekend in the U.S. from 1,605 theaters. The film, which released in October of last year internationally, has amassed a whopping $456M worldwide. That makes it the first Japanese film and anime film to top $400M at the worldwide box office.
In other words: everything from here on out is pure icing.
Godzilla vs. Kong dropped another 46% domestically for a $4.2M weekend. All told, WB’s MonsterVerse flick, which leaves HBO Max this weekend, has totaled $86.57M in the U.S. after four weeks and $406.6M worldwide, making it the biggest Hollywood movie of the pandemic era.
RELATED: Christopher Nolan Talked With Netflix, Wants Global Cinema Distribution
The only new release to crack the Top 10 was Together Together after the flick collected $522K from 665 locations.
BOX OFFICE TOP 10
1) Mortal Kombat (New Line/WB), 3,073 theaters Fri $9.08M/Sat $8.7M/Sun $4.765M/3-day $22.5M/Wk 1
2) Demon Slayer (Fun/Ani) 1,605 theaters Fri $9.5M/Sat $6.44M/Sun $3.56M/3-day $19.5M Wk 1
3) Godzilla vs. Kong (WB/Leg) 2,856 theaters (-145) Fri $1.1M/Sat $1.9M/Sun $1.2M/ 3-day: $4.2M (-46%) Total: $86.57M/Wk 4
4) Nobody (Uni) 2,252 theaters (-153) Fri $500K/Sat $850K/Sun $510K/3-day: $1.86M (-26%) Total $21.67M/Wk 5
5) Raya and the Last Dragon (Dis) 1,819 theaters (-126) Fri $400K/Sat $800K/Sun $480k/ 3-day: $1.68M (-12%) Total: $39.8M/Wk 8
6) The Unholy (Sony) 1,835 theaters (-222) Fri $425K/Sat $610M/Sun $365K/$1.4M (-32%) Total: $11.5M/Wk 4
7) Tom & Jerry (WB) 1,930 theaters (-98) 3-day: $650K (-32%) Total: $43.4M/Wk 9
8) Together Together (BST) 665 theaters Fri $181K, Sat $211K, Sun $130K, 3-day: $522K/Wk 1
9) The Girl Who Believes in Miracles (Atlas) 941 theaters (-71) Fri $90K/Sat $155K/Sun $92K/ 3-day $337K (-40%) Total: $2.4M/Wk 4
10) The Courier (RSA) 713 theaters (-210) Fri $84K/Sat $120K/Sun $60K/3-day: $264K (-43%) Total: $5.9M/Wk 6
Denial of responsibility! Swiftheadline is an automatic aggregator around the global media. All the content are available free on Internet. We have just arranged it in one platform for educational purpose only. In each content, the hyperlink to the primary source is specified. All trademarks belong to their rightful owners, all materials to their authors. If you are the owner of the content and do not want us to publish your materials on our website, please contact us by email – email@example.com. The content will be deleted within 24 hours.