Swift Headline
Latest News and Updates

Dog news: Owners warned over ‘extremely toxic’ antifreeze | UK | News

With winter drawing increasingly close, many motorists add the liquid – which lowers the freezing point of the engine’s cooling system – to their vehicles. While it may work to stop their vehicles from being damaged in cold weather, many types of antifreeze contain toxic chemicals which can be fatal to pets.

Speaking to website TeamDogs, Dr Lucy McKinna revealed the dangers of the “extremely toxic” substance.

The founder vegan dog food firm Noochy Poochy said: “Although odourless, it has a very sweet flavour and many animals will voluntarily lick it up spilled or leaked antifreeze from garage floors or driveways.

“It is extremely toxic – only a very small amount ingested can result in poisoning and death by causing acute damage to the kidneys.”

Depending on their size, even consuming a few drops can be deadly to dogs, with the survival rate low if the kidneys have been badly damaged.

READ MORE: British passport warning as woman BANNED from entering Spain

She said that symptoms to look out for include lethargy, vomiting, incoordination, excessive urination, excessive thirst, low body temperature, seizures, and even coma.

These can occur within the first 30 minutes to 12 hours after ingestion, with wobbliness, or seeming “drunk”, one of the first signs that your dog has antifreeze poisoning.

In the second stage of symptoms, these may appear to ease – however, Lucy warned that pet owners shouldn’t be “lured into a false sense of security” by this change.

She added: “(In the) 12 to 24 hours after ingestion some of the signs seem to dramatically improve, yet irreversible damage has already been done.

DON’T MISS

“It is imperative that dogs are treated with the antidote (fomepizole) within eight-12 hours of ingesting ethylene glycol as without prompt treatment they may die.

“If you know or even suspect your dog has consumed ethylene glycol, it is critical that you seek immediate veterinary attention as the antidote has only a narrow time period to work.”

From 36 hours onwards, severe acute kidney failure occurs, with symptoms including lack of appetite, drooling, halitosis, seizures, diarrhoea and collapse.

Thankfully the antidote, which is sometimes known as ‘4-MP’, is generally effective if administered within the eight to 12-hour window.

Dr Lucy McKinna is the founder of McKinna Plant Labs, a UK start-up specialising in ethics-driven canine nutritional expertise.

Noochy Poochy Adult is the flagship product for the brand and is out now.

Read original article here

Denial of responsibility! Swiftheadline is an automatic aggregator around the global media. All the content are available free on Internet. We have just arranged it in one platform for educational purpose only. In each content, the hyperlink to the primary source is specified. All trademarks belong to their rightful owners, all materials to their authors. If you are the owner of the content and do not want us to publish your materials on our website, please contact us by email – admin@swiftheadline.com. The content will be deleted within 24 hours.

Leave a comment